To say that 2020 has been a whirlwind would be the understatement of not just this year, but the last decade. We’re dealing with a global pandemic that has led to changes in business and industry, job loss, school from home, and many other challenges. Even so, the year continues to roll on, right into heating season. Here’s what you can do to prepare for winter 2020.
Prepare your Home
Staying inside is no guarantee of safety. Take these steps to keep your home safe and warm during the winter months.
- Winterize your home.
- Install weather stripping, insulation, and storm windows.
- Insulate water lines that run along exterior walls.
- Clean out gutters and repair roof leaks.
- Check your heating systems.
- Have your heating system serviced professionally to make sure that it is clean, working properly, and ventilated to the outside.
- Inspect and clean fireplaces and chimneys.
- If you do not have a working smoke detector, install one. Test batteries monthly and replace them twice a year.
- Have a safe alternate heating source and alternate fuels available.
- Prevent carbon monoxide (CO) emergencies.
- Install a CO detector to alert you of the presence of the deadly, odorless, colorless gas. Check batteries when you change your clocks in the fall and spring.
- Learn symptoms of CO poisoning: headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.
Prepare your Car
Get your car ready for cold weather use before winter arrives.
- Service the radiator and maintain antifreeze level.
- Check tire tread or, if necessary, replace tires with all-weather or snow tires.
- Keep gas tank full to avoid ice in the tank and fuel lines.
- Use a wintertime formula in your windshield washer.
- Prepare a winter emergency kit to keep in your car in case you become stranded. The kit should include:
- cell phone, portable charger, and extra batteries;
- food and water;
- booster cables, flares, tire pump, and a bag of sand or cat litter (for traction);
- compass and maps;
- flashlight, battery-powered radio, and extra batteries;
- first-aid kit; and
- plastic bags (for sanitation).
Don’t Forget to Order Fuel
Making sure you have enough fuel in your tank to keep your home warm and cozy all season long is the last thing you want to worry about once winter arrives. With 2020 being so unpredictable, make fuel delivery easy. Flynn Energy offers several ways to pay with automatic and will-call heating oil and propane delivery available. Order a delivery online, through the Flynn Propane app, or by calling 570-268-3880.